Monday, September 7, 2009

Rikshaw Ride and Gandhi Museum

Thursday, September 3rd

That afternoon, I picked up my saris from the Hauz Khas market. I'm going to miss the elderly tailors, all men, who sew on the street with the antique Singers run by a foot pedal.

Our goal that afternoon, was to head to the Gandhi museum, and we struggled reading a map to find its location. We flagged down a rikshaw in the market and piled in. Usually a rikshaw is comfortable enough for 2-3 passengers in the back. But we've seen groups of 4 travel with the drivers, so I sat next to the rikshaw driver himself.

Normally a ride on a rikshaw is somewhat dangerous.... as we dodge the motorbikes, cars, trucks, cows, pedestrians, etc. on the road. However, sitting in the front seat with half a buttock clinging for safety and driving over countless potholes, the back seat doesn't seem all that dangerous. We even managed to hit a fuel truck, and I began to miss my American seatbelts.

This was the ultimate rikshaw ride as we drove past a parade for Ganesh, the Remover of Obstacles. There were musicians playing, people covered in colored paint, children dancing, and it was all led by an elephant!

I was finally getting somewhat comfortable, although I told the girls "We're getting 2 rikshaws on the way back," when the driver pulled over and told me to get on the right side so that I would drive. Reluctantly, I made my way to the wheel, or rather, handlebars as he explained the gears, 1st, 2nd, up till 4th, the accelerator, and floor brake (which he was in charge of). The 2 Brits in the back knew my American self never drove a non-automatic vehicle, and all of us feared for our safety (except the laughing driver). I accelerated, grinding the gears the entire way, and said just about every curse word I knew during the drive. The driver enjoyed putting his arm around my shoulder, as I told him we should take over. I even had to drive through a round-a-bout, unaware of what vehicles would cut me off. Fortunately, we made it to the museum unscathed.

http://www.eternalgandhi.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment